Kelowna News recently reported, BC oncologist Dr. Kong Khong was diagnosed with early-stage lung cancer during a routine checkup.
Dr. Khong stated:
For someone who knows cancer well, being diagnosed is indeed ironic. He immediately inspected his 25-year-old house and found that the radon levels significantly exceeded the Canadian Health Department’s guideline of 200 Bq per cubic meter.
Long-term exposure to high concentrations of radon gas was the cause of Dr. Khong’s cancer.
According to Health Canada, around 3200 Canadians die from radon-induced cancer every year, second only to smoking-related lung cancer deaths. Smokers exposed to radon face even higher risks.
Furthermore, data shows that 1/8 of Canadian households reside in properties with high radon levels, facing a high risk of cancer. Research indicates houses around Vancouver’s north shore and the Sea-to-Sky Highway are at risk of high radon concentration.
Granite in houses, basements, and garages are the primary sources of radon emission. Poor ventilation causes radon to accumulate, reaching dangerous concentrations.
Remember, the health risk from radon is long-term; the longer the exposure, the greater the risk.
During the testing period, Dr. Khoo, undergoing active treatment, says:
Lung cancer is one of the preventable cancers; I should have taken action sooner, protecting my family through testing and checkups. Regular comprehensive checkups are key to safeguarding health.
MMC Functional Medicine Center is also:
UBC Medical School Clinical Doctoral and University of Victoria Practicing Nursing Master’s dual-designated teaching base
Multiple consultation and testing locations in Greater Vancouver: